Alek KeshishianFriday, April 12, 2019
Alek Keshishian (Armenian: Ալեք Գևորգի Քեշիշյան, born 30 July 1964 in Beirut, Lebanon) is an Armenian-American film and commercial director, writer, producer and music video director. He is best known for his 1991 film Madonna: Truth or Dare which was, at the time, the highest-grossing documentary of all time.
Keshishian’s professional journey began straight out of college in Hollywood. He started as a music video director where he made clips for artists like Bobby Brown, Elton John and Vanessa Williams.
Madonna, who had viewed a VHS home recording of Keshishian’s pop opera at Harvard, unbeknownst to Alek, had asked her agents to send her everything he directed. When he was 26, Keshishian got a call from Madonna who asked him to direct the HBO special for her Blond Ambition World Tour. Four days later, Keshishian travelled to Japan to shoot some backstage footage for the HBO special. Candid backstage footage captured in Japan, led Madonna to let him direct a feature-length documentary movie instead. Truth or Darebecame the biggest grossing documentary of its time
The Warner Bros. feature With Honors, starring Joe Pesci, Brendan Fraser, and Patrick Dempsey came next. It was the number one movie in America for the first two weeks of its release.
At age 29, Keshishian turned his back on Hollywood, and focused on photography and commercials instead, producing work for clients including Coca-Cola, Peugeot, Volkswagen, Brut by Faberge, Aprilia, Baileys, and Max Factor.
Keshishian left London in 2006, after writing, directing and producing an indie comedy farce called Love and Other Disasters, starring Brittany Murphy, Matthew Rhys, and Catherine Tate, which was a festival favorite and even opened the London Lesbian and Gay Film Festival.
Returning to the U.S., he directed commercials and special projects like Jennifer Aniston’s two Smartwater campaigns. He also directed the comedic shower shorts that featured Chelsea Handler with Sandra Bullock and Conan O’Brien.
Recently, Keshishian has been writing and developing two projects for David Fincher: one for TV called La Luna and the other a feature called Adult Services.
- Madonna: Truth or Dare (aka In Bed with Madonna) – documentary (1991)
- With Honors (1994)
- Love and Other Disasters (2006)
- W.E. (2011) – co-writer with Madonna
- "Don't Be Cruel" (1988) (Bobby Brown)
- "My Prerogative" (1988) (Bobby Brown)
- "Don't Rush Me" (1988) (Taylor Dayne)
- "Every Little Step" (1989) (Bobby Brown)
- "On Our Own" (1989) (Bobby Brown)
- "Sacrifice" (1990) (Elton John)
- "Like a Virgin (Truth or Dare version)" (1991) (Madonna)
- "Holiday (Truth or Dare version)" (1991) (Madonna)
- "This Used to Be My Playground" (1992) (Madonna)
- "I'll Remember" (1994) (Madonna)
- "Insatiable" (2002) (Darren Hayes)
- "Hands to Myself" (2015) (Selena Gomez)
- "Save It Til Morning" (2017) (Fergie)